Re: break without ending measure

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: break without ending measure
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:30:34 +0000 (UTC)

Ezequiel Sierra <esierra <at> dominet.net> writes:

> can i break before the measure ends? i need to know how. like two
> notes after the measure begins make a break and the other two notes
> below

break is only valid at bar lines.  However, bar lines can be blank and can be in
the middle of a measure.  Put

\bar " "

before your \break, and the break should work.

See the manual, Chapter 6, for more information:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Bar-lines.html#Bar-lines

I've found it helpful to get a copy of the manual in PDF format, and use Acrobat
Reader to search for things -- it's often more complete than the index.

Carl Sorensen