Off-Topic: Orchestration Aid

From: Frédéric Chiasson
Subject: Off-Topic: Orchestration Aid
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:18:00 -0500

Ouch!

Normally (you must know that), composers use orchestration treatises - books - for that. I don't know about a software giving this kind of advice. I know Sibelius change the color of the notehead when the instrument is off-bounds, but that's all.

For fingerings and instrumentation (the science of composing for instruments separately), I suggest the Blatter orchestration treatise, or beginner instrument methods. Maybe the Adler might be good too to have a gradual introduction to orchestration.

But for great advice for orchestration and instrumentation, I suggest definitely the Koechlin's "Traité de l'orchestration". It has plenty of great ideas for orchestral writing. But there are some problems : it is so badly organised - you might need to look at many chapters to understand a single topic - and it is written only in French.

But for a software? I really don't know. Maybe you could develop this!

Regards,

Frédéric Chiasson