Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: stk
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:29:55 -0500 (EST)

> ... in irregular, tuplet-intensive music it may be sensible to create a
> music function for sequences of tuplets. In addition, it's IMHO a more
> lilypondesque solution than tupletSpannerDuration, once we support fractions
> as music function arguments.

If I understand you correctly, this would involve specifying, one way or
another, the duration of each actual tuplet.  Explicit specification of a
duration (other than by an external tupletSpannerDuration declaration) has
been suggested by another user, and IMO it would be a good idea, although
I gather that Han-Wen is not in favour of the idea.

But I have a question about how one would specify a duration.  Specifying
durations in the way we usually think about them allows actual durations
that look like this:
1    ==> 1
2... ==> 15/16
2..  ==> 7/8
2.   ==> 3/4
4... ==> 15/32
4..  ==> 7/16
4.   ==> 3/8
4    ==> 1/4
(etc.)
so that only durations of the form
   2^(p-1) / 2^q  (where p < q)
can be specified this way.  But given the extravagancies of contemporary
music, wouldn't it be possible, for example, to have a tuplet where 4
eighth notes would be played over a time interval of 5 eighths --
      \times 5/4  {c8 d e f}
Or does such a thing never happen?  If it does, then the tuplet's
duration, equal to 5/8 here, cannot be expressed simply by a dotted-note
notation such as in the preceding list.  A duration of 5/8 would have to
be expressed by something similar to a make-moment fraction.  (Even with
this complication, I would still find it desirable to be able to express
the duration of a tuplet within the [hypothetical] \tuplet construct;
it's the only thing that would make \tuplet functionally different from
\times anyway.)

-- Tom