Re: Lyrics, multiple endings, and codas

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Lyrics, multiple endings, and codas
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:01:47 -0800 (PST)

Ander D wrote:

> I have a solo voice score.  It has two sections.  The first section has
> two
> verses.  The first verse has its own ending and the second verse also has
> its
> own ending, which comprises the rest of the song.  The second section has
> a DS
> al coda.  I need help with organizing this arrangement; where do all these
> pieces go?

The area in front of an ending coda should have about an inch of whitespace
in front, IOW the staff should begin again with a new clef and key (time sig
is optional).  There currently is no perfect way to make this happen in LP,
but here is a technique I have used to stop the staff and re-start it and
get the Coda marks to appear normal:

% In my globals.ly file I might have the following variables:

\varKey = { \key bf major }

\varPadDcDsMark = #10
\varPadTargetCodaMark = #10
\varPadSegnoMark = #10

varMarkSegno = {
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = \varPadSegnoMark
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #3.0
\mark \markup { \smaller { \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" } }
}

varMarkDsAlCoda = {
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = \varPadDcDsMark
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #0.6
\mark \markup { \bold "D.S. al Coda " } }

varMarkEndCodaDS = {
  \varMarkDsAlCoda
  \stopStaff
  \cadenzaOn
  \skip1
  \cadenzaOff
  \once \set Staff.forceClef = ##t
  \clef treble
  \varKey
  \bar ""
  \startStaff
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = \varPadTargetCodaMark
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #3.0
  \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" \super \smaller { Coda } }
 }

% Then in the piece I use these variables as follows (this should compile in
a score using english.ly):

Notice the "to coda" appears at bar 5, the "segno" appears at the pickup
bar, and both the "DS al" and "target coda" appears at bars 19 and 20 with
the proper whitespace in between, simple.  The only caveat is that you must
get bar 18 to also include itself on the same system as bar 19 and 20, IOW
the whitespace does not work across a system break.  So you may need to
force a line break to get this to happen depending on paper, fontsize, etc.
(Note, whitespace and clef/key restatement in front of target Codas is
standard style for the music publishers association MPA.org).

Song is "As Time Goes By"

varVoiceMelody = \relative c'' {
%0
\partial 8 g'8