Re: Partial and empty measures in a score

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Partial and empty measures in a score
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:32:41 +0100

The total duration of the first measure has to match between the parts
(both to make LilyPond and the musicians happy). What do you want to
see in the typeset output? I would either use a partial measure in both
parts so the second part started with r8 r4 r2 or use a full measure in
both parts, so the first part started with r8 g bes g ...

If you absolutely want to typeset a full measure rest in the second part
and only a partial measure in the first part, you could read section
"Scaling durations" for a solution.

  /Mats

Francesco Spiga wrote:
I'm editing a three-part fugue, and I'm typing notes in three separate
files. The first voice starts with a partial measure, so the two first
maesures are:

 \partial8*7 g'8 bes g a a c bes16 a
 bes8 ees ees ees a, d d d

The second voice enters at measure 2. As the first measure has to be
empty in separate part, I typed:

 R1
 r4 g'2 f4

When I try to put all voices in a score, Lilypond does'nt recognise the
first (partial) measure of the first voice as the empty one of the
second voice, so alignment between staves is completely wrong.

How could I work out this problem?

Thanks you.
    Franek

        Mats Bengtsson