Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:54:42 +0100

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 22:29, address@hidden wrote:
> > ... in irregular, tuplet-intensive music it may be sensible to create a
> > music function for sequences of tuplets. In addition, it's IMHO a more
> > lilypondesque solution than tupletSpannerDuration, once we support
> > fractions as music function arguments.
>
> If I understand you correctly, this would involve specifying, one way or
> another, the duration of each actual tuplet.  Explicit specification of a
> duration (other than by an external tupletSpannerDuration declaration) has
> been suggested by another user, and IMO it would be a good idea, although
> I gather that Han-Wen is not in favour of the idea.

No, \tupletSequence 2/3 {{c d e} {f g a} {b c d}} would just be a shorthand
for \tuplet 2/3 {c d e} \tuplet 2/3 {f g a} \tuplet 2/3 {b c d}

It is problematic to use durations to decide the scaling of a tuplet; this has
been discussed previously in this thread. E.g., if you scale 3 8th notes to
duration 4, then it is unclear whether it corresponds to factor 2/3 or 4/6.

> But I have a question about how one would specify a duration.  Specifying
> durations in the way we usually think about them allows actual durations
> that look like this:
> 1    ==> 1
> 2... ==> 15/16
> 2..  ==> 7/8
> 2.   ==> 3/4
> 4... ==> 15/32
> 4..  ==> 7/16
> 4.   ==> 3/8
> 4    ==> 1/4
> (etc.)
> so that only durations of the form
>    2^(p-1) / 2^q  (where p < q)
> can be specified this way.  But given the extravagancies of contemporary
> music, wouldn't it be possible, for example, to have a tuplet where 4
> eighth notes would be played over a time interval of 5 eighths --
>       \times 5/4  {c8 d e f}
> Or does such a thing never happen?  If it does, then the tuplet's
> duration, equal to 5/8 here, cannot be expressed simply by a dotted-note
> notation such as in the preceding list.

you could always write 1*5/8, which is a valid duration.

--
Erik