Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: stk
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 03:01:30 -0500 (EST)

Trevor --

Thank you for your very clear explanation.  I learned a lot from that.
I am nevertheless amazed that a performer would be able to keep track of
15/56ths of a whole note(!).

> Note, importantly, that, with the present tuplet syntax, lily handles
> all tuplets -- *including broken ones* -- correctly out of the box.
> This sort of thing brings Finale and Sibelius screaming to their
> knees. (This seems to be an extension of the fact that lily gets one
> thing *exceedingly* correct: the duration model of musical time.

Well, isn't that a good argument for just leaving the whole thing alone?

> I think changing \times to \tuplet is a great idea for the reason that
> started the thread: \times is too close to \time.

That I really don't get.  LilyPond is written in *English*.  There is a
word "time" and there is another word "times"; they don't mean the same
thing, that's all.  To write LilyPond code, we have to distinguish between
   \override & \set,
   Script & TextScript,
   \addlyrics & \lyricsto,
   (not to mention foo & bar).
People who speak a Romance language have to learn the difference between
   \clef & \key.
And we have to write things like
   #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 5 8) 3 8)
and
   \override Score.RehursalMarc #'brake-visibility =
         #begin-of-align-invisibile
and
   \acciaccatura { c16[ d] } e4  % 4 c's, not 2 or 3, no ch's or k's
correctly.  But people are "confused" by \time vs. \times ?????

Hmmm.  Well then, I'm confused about \with-color, \center-align, and
\lyricmode (I've never seen a "lyric").  Could we please get these changed
to \with-colour, \centre-align, and \lyricsmode?

-- Tom