Knees and spacing: bug?

From: Michael Krause
Subject: Knees and spacing: bug?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:03:14 +0100

Hello list,

I'm having problems with spacing in the presence of kneed beams, see the
attached image for illustration:

Bar 1: Automatic knees in the upper staff. Result: the 16th in the lower
staff is much too close to the following 8th.

Bar 2: Disabled knees in the upper staff - now the lower staff looks
nice, but I'd rather want the upper staff look like in Bar 1, with
knees.

Bar 3: My try at working around the problem of Bar 1: in the lower
staff, decrease the duration of the dotted 8th, and increase the
duration of the 16th such that the overall duration remains constant.
The lower staff looks better now, but the spacing of the stems in the
upper staff gets funny. Is this a bug, or am I getting something wrong?
What would be a more adequate solution?

This is the code used to produce the image:

-- SNIP --

\version "2.11.8"
\paper{ ragged-right=##t }

upper = {
        \clef treble \time 6/8
        \stemNeutral    g16 c''' g c''' g c''' g c''' g c''' g c'''
        \stemDown       g16 c''' g c''' g c''' g c''' g c''' g c'''
        \stemNeutral    g16 c''' g c''' g c''' g c''' g c''' g c'''
}

pedal = {
        \clef bass \time 6/8
        f,8 f, f, f8. f16 f8