Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: stk
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:22:16 -0500 (EST)

> To be serious: Do you see a necessity for a basic LilyPond command to
> be an abbreviation of another?  Just think of editors which are able
> to complete a command with the tab key as soon as you type the first
> few letters (Emacs, for example).  In case of \time vs. \times, you
> always have to add a final `s' or select between two choices.

OK, I use Visual Basic's IDE with auto-completion, so I'm familiar with
what you're talking about.  (Yes, I hate Microsoft, but I don't have much
choice.)

But I can see this boils down to broad cultural differences --
-- I touch type, so I could care less how "easy" something is to type:
it's all easy (I use NotePad in Windows).
-- 99% of my time is spent arranging (& re-arranging); the minuscule
amount of time I spend creating a .ly file is negligible.
-- I have skeleton .ly files; I load one of them into NotePad and make
some minor changes in the boilerplate.  Virtually everything I type is
notes, not keywords.

So we've got different needs.

De gustibus...

-- Tom