Re: Absolute Beginners - Chapter One

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners - Chapter One
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:31:30 +0100

Manuel wrote:

Am 02/01/2007 um 21:21 schrieb fiëé visuëlle:

Don't you think \repeat{} makes more sense?
(I prefer logical over visual markup.)

Henning, I don't know if that would be the simplest thing to learn at the beginning. How would you put it?

I think one important conceptual idea of LilyPond is that the input file is
mainly used to describe the music and the structure of the music, not
primarily how it should be printed on paper. Therefore, I agree with
Henning that it's much better to directly learn the correct syntax for
repeats instead of learning about \bar "|:" and ":|" which should almost
never be used in practice.

I'd introduce bar checks before partials.

I think that bar checks may not be essential for short and simple melodies.
In my opinion, using bar checks is an extremely useful habit. I'm fairly
sure that a common beginners mistake is to get the rhythm wrong, not only
in long and complicated pieces but also in short and simple melodies.
Maybe you happened to start with pieces with very simple rhythms but
I'm sure that many others will start of with some pieces with dotted rhythms,
for example. Then automatic bar checks can save hours of trouble.

Or did you want to avoid all possible warning messages?

What do you mean?
Bar checks will generate warning printouts when you run LilyPond.
Just as it's a good habit to use bar checks in the code, it's also a good
habit to look in the warning printouts (i.e. to look in the .log file if
you just double clicked on a file to process it). At least, it's good to
learn at an early stage that these .log files do exist and that they can
be very helpful (but also confusing from time to time).

 /Mats