Problem with Syntax

From: Monica
Subject: Problem with Syntax
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 02:05:17 +0000 (UTC)

To the crew at Lilypond. Hi. And first let me thank you for creating a program
such as this. I am already finding so much use in it. However, yesterday was
my first day using it and I'm having a bit of a problem with putting in a time
signature and a clef. I followed the instructions on the site exactly but it
doesn't work. Here's what I've been having a problem with.

I put in \time {2/4} but it keeps telling me error: syntax error, unexpected
\time

\time {2/4} and error: errors found, ignoring music expression
\time
      {2/4}

The same thing is happening with the clef. And the key signature. Am I missing
a program that I need in order for these to work? I'm not sure what I'm doing
wrong so hopefully someone will be able to help me. Thank you!

Musically yours, Monica