Concerning the Absolute Beginner Tutorial for Lilypond Beginners

From: Daniel Tonda Castillo
Subject: Concerning the Absolute Beginner Tutorial for Lilypond Beginners
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:00:19 -0600

Greetings to everyone:

I've been following the thread and reading the tutorial, so far, and I'm ready to voice my very personal and subjective opinion.

I think that the idea behind the absolute beginners' tutorial is precisely what it's title implies. It's for the absolute beginner, not for the intermediate user, or for the full fledged master of the universe. That is what the Lilypond documentation is for.

I think that the tutorial should, on each chapter, go just a little bit deeper than the previous chapter. The tutorial should be oriented at getting results, fast, so that the the interested reader will be interested in deepening his understanding, not alienating the novice, which may happen if it gets keeping bigger and bigger or more exacting in the precise use of the terms.

Think if you will, of the development cycle. A spiral where with each turn of it, the user gets more and more information, until she's/he's ready to digest a fuller documentation.

Think: learn lilypond in 10 hours, lessons, excercises, keep it practical, to the utmost, results oriented.

Of course, in time and with enough understanding, polish and care, the absolute beginner's tutorial may end up becoming something like: "The ultimate guide for the beginner lilypond novice", or similar.

As a teacher I've experienced that giving too little information to the student, will cause frustration, giving too much will also cause frustration. It may not aid in the student learning. Part of the process of learning has to be performed by the student, investigating, reading, etc. More times than not a bump in the head or tripping over something is a better way of learning, and retaining information than holding the student's hand all the time. Give the student enough so that he/she will desire to strive further and achieve things by his/her self.

There is a thing as trainers, or instructors, and respectfully a developer sometimes may not be interested or lacks resources like time or whatever to get a message accross in a clear and transparent form to the user.

Daniel Tonda C.