Re: Lilypond odd jobs - questions regarding avoid-slur

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond odd jobs - questions regarding avoid-slur
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:04:54 -0800

Maximilian Albert wrote:
being rather limited in time at the moment I was very pleased to see that
nonetheless I might have a chance to contribute. I don't know if anybody already started working on the tasks Graham proposed but I presume they would
have posted it on list.

Great!  No, nobody else has expressed any interest.

Adding avoid-slur settings to everything in scm/script.scm sounded sufficiently
easy to me so I had a look at the file and started adding the settings.

I'm not certain if you downloaded the source files or whether you're modifying the copy of scm/script.scm that's inside your local LilyPond installation. Either of them would work, and if you're not comfortable with diff, you can simply send me your entire modified file.

One advantage of modifying scm/script.scm inside your local LilyPond installation is that then you can easily test the results (without compiling lilypond).

1) What precisely is the difference between the choices "around" and "outside"?

Unfortunately I don't know.

2) How to decide which choice to set for which script? Is this somewhat
arbitrary or are there decisive rules?

I suppose if the avoid-slur property of "trill", e.g., is set to "outside" in
the current version of script.scm then all trill-like articulations should
probably imitate this. On other occasions, however, I could only resort to my
vague feelings of what looks right (which already mislead me in some cases where the setting was present in script.scm). Of course, I might have a look at some hand-engraved scores but I am not sure if I find examples of all kinds
of scripts.

That sounds like the right approach to me. If you're particularly uncertain about a setting, you could add a comment to that affect.
;; guessing?

If it's an important articulation then it's probably already defined; if it isn't defined and you guess a wrong value, we'll get a bug report about it that I can easily fix.

Cheers,
- Graham