Re: note tweaks for variations in small size

From: Mark Johnson
Subject: Re: note tweaks for variations in small size
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:28:21 -0600

Thanks for the additional suggestions.  The variation of your
polyphony syntax was close, but the two stems did not merge
together because of the offset from the smaller notehead on the
alternate pitch.  The example called grob-tweak.ly in the
Regression Test document was exactly what I was looking for.
I tried to incorporate the syntax of the chord with a smaller
notehead for the alternate pitch into a music function, but
was not successful.  My expression that worked correctly was:

< gis, \tweak #'font-size #-4 gis' >

Mark

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Here's a new version that keeps the main version in the same Voice context,
which should solve your lyrics problems. Also, it doesn't set any stem directions, so both versions will have the stems in the same direction (unless the pitches are
too different).

\version "2.10.0"
\relative c'{
c d e f |
<<
 % Main version:
 {e d }
 % Alternative version:
 \new Voice {\tiny g4 f }
 >> g2 |
}

Read section "Explicitly creating voices" to understand what differs from my previous suggestion. It's also possible to set the font size separately for different notes of the same chord. See the example called grob-tweak.ly in the Regression
Test document.

  /Mats

Mark Johnson wrote:

Mats,

Thank you for your suggestion.  When I tried using that syntax, I
found two problems.  First, the alternate note has a separate stem
from the preferred pitch.  The alternate note needs to use the same
stem as the preferred pitch, as when using the chord operator < >.
The second problem that I ran into was that the lyrics moved off
the polyphony notes, which admittedly I have not spent any time
trying to fix yet.

Mark

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

This has been possible in LilyPond for many years. If you want the
alternative pitch printed in the same stave, just typeset them in a
separate temporary voice and reduce the font size. For example:
\version "2.10.0"
\relative c'{
c d e f |
<<
 % Main version:
 {g g } \\
 % Alternative version:
 {\small g8 a g f }
 >> g2 |
}

If you want a separate temporary stave, search for "ossia" in the
index of the manual to find an example.

  /Mats

Mark Johnson wrote:

Greetings,

I am a new user of LilyPond.  I have been attempting to typeset
some vocal music that contains a few notes that have an alternate
pitch with a notehead that is smaller than the preferred pitch.

I found a similar question discussed in the archives back in July,
2004:

> I want to typeset a couple of transcribed songs[1], and many of them
> contain variations of short sequences of notes or even single notes.
> In the original manuscript, those are set in a smaller type.
> Sometimes the variation is put as another, smaller note-head on the
> same stem as the main note, and sometimes it has its own stem
> (dependent on how far the pitch is apart and if the value is the
> same).

Has any capability been added to LilyPond in the last one and a
half years to make showing alternate pitches easier?  This capability
seems like it would be quite useful because many choir pieces seem
to show alternate pitches using this method.

Mark Johnson