Re: Which LilyPond for Mac G3 (Pismo) running OS 10.4.7

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Which LilyPond for Mac G3 (Pismo) running OS 10.4.7
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:13:17 +0100

2007/1/25, Paul Scott <address@hidden>:
Can someone point me to documention as to which version of Lily I should
on a Mac G3 (Pismo) running OS 10.4.7?  The darwin choices here:
http://lilypond.org/vc/gub.darcs/READ-ME don't necessarily match what I
have.  From the Download page "MacOS X (G3, G4, G5 Macs) 10.3 and newer"
seems to be the right choice.  I unpacked (in the wrong place at first)
and I could execute it from there but it was going to run forever.  I
moved it to /Applications and now I can start Lily but File/Open acts
like it is going to open a file but does not do anything.  I also didn't
find any install command.

AFAIK, there isn't any. You're doing fine : just download
http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/binaries/darwin-ppc/lilypond-2.11.13-1.darwin-ppc.tar.bz2
then unpack it (on the Desktop for instance), and drag'n drop it in
/Applications

It's a .app pacakge, so theoritically you can launch it like any other
application. You should see a TextEdit-like window with the message
"Welcome to LilyPond". If you don't, then you're obviously missing
something.

Does Mac no longer use carriage for end of line since OSX.  That seem to
be the case from the command line.

I don't really understand what you're talking about (but as a matter
of fact, I've never been using OS 8 or OS 9). Maybe somebody else will
be able to answer this question ?

Anyway, as far as I know, there's nothing that could prevent you from
using LilyPond on a G3 PPC, especially with a modern OS like 10.4.7.

I have had limited experience with a Mac so I could use any other
pointers to relevant documentation.

Well, it seems parts of the LilyPond.app package are not available
from the GUI ; you'll have to use the Terminal.app to invoke it
through the command line.

You can look, for instance, at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-01/msg00528.html

And do not forget, of course :