Re: GNU Lilypond Portable?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GNU Lilypond Portable?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:01:39 +0100

Without knowing too much about the details, it seems to me that it wouldn't
be that difficult to do this. Actually, the current Windows installer is
implemented using NSIS and the only things it does to the registry is to
set PATH and PATHEXT and to set some file menu actions.
Some of the utility programs like convert-ly, lilypond-book and midi2ly
are implemented as Python scripts. Also, the lilypond program itself calls
Ghostscript, so it has to be able to find that executable. One complication
might be that the distribution will be fairly large, because of all font files
included with Ghostscript and all libraries included with Python.

If you want to give it a try yourself, I would recommend to start at
http://lilypond.org/vc/gub.darcs/READ-ME

  /Mats

Kazuhiro Suzuki wrote:
At PortableApps.com <http://portableapps.com/>, the developer(s) are modifying
free software applications for the Windows platform so that anyone can keep the
software in e.g. a usb pen drive and carry it around anywhere they want to. That way, one can use the same software at home, at work, at an Internet cafe,
etc. without having to install the software in each PC.

Is it possible to do the same with GNU Lilypond?  I also posted the same
question in the PortableApps.com forum.  The link below is the actual post.

http://portableapps.com/node/4860

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems