Some horizontal spacing problems.

From: Charles Gentry
Subject: Some horizontal spacing problems.
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:51:42 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

Before I begin I'd just like to say how much I enjoy using Lilypond - there is
absolutely nothing like it.

I have to problems that I would desperately like some advice:

1. I'm writing some exercises consisting of three bars. The main part is in the
first two bars and the final bar is is just a single note ending. Something
like:

\time 4/4 %etc.
c4 c4 c4 c4 | c4 c4 c4 c4 | c1 \bar "|."

What I would like to do is alter the horizontal spacing so that the first two
bars take up the majority of the line while the last bar is very small and tight
so that the final c1 is really squashed between the bars.

2. I have a polyphonic phrase with triplets in the bottom voice and dotted 8th
and 16th notes in the upper voice.

\time 4/4 %etc.
\relative c' {
<<{
}\\{
  \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t
  \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
  \times 2/3 {
    c,8 g' f
    e8 g c,
    b8 d c
    b8 d g,
  }
}>>
}
The problem here is that I'd like the 16th notes to lie directly above the the
last note in each triplet (since the dotted 8th and the 16th should be the same
time length as a triplet of 8ths). At the moment the upper voice is noticably
out of line to the right.

I've checked the documentation and other sources for advice but to no avail. If
you can provide any solution please write back.

Regards,

Charles

PS Sorry for the length of this query!