Glissando notation?

From: Robert Kennedy
Subject: Glissando notation?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:39:10 -0800

It seems in Lilypond (v2.10.14) the default notation for glissandos is
a straight line. I've never seen that notation used for glissando
before so I have no idea why it's the default, but that's OK because
everything can be changed, right?

So I tried "\override Glissando #'style = #'zigzag", thinking it would
give me the right thing. But it gives me a very thin, light zig-zag
line -- yet another notation that I have never seen used for
glissando.

The most common, correct notation for glissando looks like a trill
mark. It's a wavy line of varying thickness.

A statement in the on-line reference documentation suggests that
"\override Glissando #'style = #'trill" might help:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/line_002dspanner_002dinterface#line_002dspanner_002dinterface

But unfortunately it doesn't work. I still get a light, straight
line. How do I get correct glissando notation?

        -- Robert

P.S. I really *love* the output I get from Lilypond but even (dare I
say it?) Finale gets this particular piece of notation more or less
right.