Re: Making a staff take extra vertical space?

From: Robert Kennedy
Subject: Re: Making a staff take extra vertical space?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 23:51:12 -0800

> > I wonder, though, how I can get it to appear *below* the chords...
>
> One method is to typeset the text as a text script instead of using \mark:
>
>     | c'4^\markup { \huge \line{ \box "C" \bold "(first time only)" }}
>
> Then it will be connected to the stave and therefore the chords
> will move out of the way automatically.

I like this suggestion, but unfortunately it seems to demonstrate
another bug. The chords move out of the way regardless of whether they
would collide with the text script. The result is a bunch of ugly,
unnecessary blank space. Thanks for the tip, though.

> You already know how to move
> these things horizontally using extra-offset. However, you maybe don't
> know that you can also use
>     \once \override TextScript #'self-alignment-X = #-0.8

That's very good to know, and you're right that I hadn't known about
it. Thanks!

        -- Robert