Re: make-dynamic-script shows mysterious aligning behaviour

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: Re: make-dynamic-script shows mysterious aligning behaviour
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:42:54 +0100

Hello list, hello Joe,

You wrote:

> On 2/2/07, Roland Goretzki <address@hidden> wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >In the following I've listed the lower case characters, which show a
> >different behaviour (
> >  1. with "?" they are aligned about .4 or .5 staff spaces
> >     too high,
> >  2. with "." they are aligned about .1 or .2 staff spaces too low,
> >  3. and the one with "-" [t] is aligned about only .1 or .2 staff
> >     spaces too high,
> >whereas all upper cases seem to align wrong in the same way,
> >about .1 or .2 staff spaces too low.
> >):
> >
> >a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
> >? . ? . ? . ? . . . . . ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - ? ? ? ? ? ?
>
> With all the work you did in checking the letters, I'm surprised you
> didn't see the pattern: the short letters align too high. This is
> because lilypond calculates the alignment using the bounding box of
> the letters, not the baseline of the glyph.

I've thought something like that, but couldn't believe, that this wasn't
taken in account until yet at such a glorious program like lilypond is.
:-)

But surely, it's a program in progress, and things can happen ... ;-)

> You're right that it doesn't give good results; this is on my list of
> things to fix.

Nice to hear this, and I'm awaiting it with many thanks!

Best Regards           Roland