Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:36:02 +0100

Trevor Bača wrote:
But what about the (semantic) grouping that I started this thread
with? Doesn't it still make sense to group, for example, these ...

 ragged-bottom
 ragged-last-bottom
 system-count
 between-system-space
 between-system-padding
 horizontal-shift

... settings together somehow? I mean, these things actually do
pertain to each other at a logical level, right?

Yes, definitely. But maybe this logical, user-centric division can be
handled perfectly cleanly just in the docs? The docs for settings can
then look something like this (and this is obviously just a sketch,
some pseudocode for the actual docs that I'll clean up long before
sending to Graham):
Leaving the question of syntax for the moment, one crucial limitation in LilyPond today (unless this changed over the last couple of months) is that you cannot specify settings like ragged-bottom or ragged-last-bottom individually per score. Of course, such a possibility doesn't make sense if you have several short scores on the same page, but if you have inserted a page break in between each score, it certainly makes lots of sense. Hmm, maybe it's better to think of it the same way
as the \enlargethispage command in LaTeX, which you can specify anywhere in
the input file and which applies to the current page in the generated output (if you have several of these commands in the input that corresponds to one and the same
page, then the last one of them overrides the others).
I find it a severe limitation that the current \paper{...} related settings only can
be specified per \book.

When it comes to syntax, I just want to remind everybody that we used to have a single directive \paper corresponding to the current \layout and \book, until version 2.4, but it was split into the two in an attempt to clarify what you could do where. See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/NEWS.html

  /Mats