Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:02:55 +0100

Trevor Bača escreveu:
> On 2/7/07, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Trevor Bača escreveu:
>>
>> > Right now both list 1 and list 2 will just be put together into the
>> > outside-of-score (\paper) bucket.
>> >
>> > But it seems that may list 1 is really concerned with the *the layout
>> > of music on the page* whereas list 2 is concerned with *adding headers
>> > and footers outside the music*.
>> >
>> > So does it make sense to divide list 1 and list 2? And if so, with what
>> > names?
>>
>> I think this doesn't make sense. There are two output-def objects with
>> nested
>> scope. Variables that by their nature have \book-wide effect, go into
>> the outer
>> scope, variables that are score-wide may be put in the inner scope.
>>
>> If that confuses you, it might be a better idea to rename \layout  and
>> \paper to
>> better reflect this.
>
> Another point of clarification:
>
> So this means there are really three levels of scope at which these
> settings can be made ...
>
> 1. at score level (which is most specific)
> 2. at book level (which is intermediate), and
> 3. at top level
>
> ... as reflected in the following example:
>
> %%% BEGIN 3-LEVELS OF SCOPE %%%
>
> \version "2.11.16"
>
> \paper { indent = #100 }
>
> \book {
>
>   \paper { indent = #50 }
>
>   \score {
>      \new Staff { c'1 }
>      \layout { indent = #0 }
>   }
>
> }
>
> %%% END %%%
>
> If I comment out the score-level indent, then the book-level indent
> will take over. If I comment out both the score-level and book-level
> indents, then the top-level indent will take over.

No, the \book level indent overwrites the toplevel

 \paper { indent = #75 }
 \book {
   \paper { indent = #50 }
  }

really maens

  "$defaultpaperblock" = \paper { \$defaultpaperblock indent = #75 }
  \book {
    \paper { \$defaultpaperblock indent = #50 }

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com