Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:30:32 -0800

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:03:54 -0600, Trevor Bača wrote:

> And the conclusion from the teaching of Lily that I've done so far is
> that *BY FAR AND AWAY* the greatest points of confusion all concern
> file structure.
>
> I can't prove that this confusion results from the implicit-ness of so
> many of our examples in the docs on the list, etc, but I strongly
> suspect this is the case.

I had started a lame little message about this sort of thing, but now I see
that Trevor has beaten me to it, and with something intelligent. :-)

The examples now shown in the docs as "simple" are actually far from simple,
because of the many assumptions required in order to figure out how they work.
Changing them so the structure is easy to understand would make them longer,
but having the structure exposed like that would make them much more
educational.

I'm not against shortcuts, compressed language, and useful assumptions - but
they are not really for beginners.

David