Re: Notehead collisions, accidentals

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Notehead collisions, accidentals
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:34:32 +0100

Quoting Mark Knoop <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

This is really about three issues, but they're related, so bear with me
please.

1. There seems to have been a decision made at some point to merge
note heads in some cases (see collision-head-chords.ly in the
regression tests and the second chord in the example code below). I
personally find this ugly and cannot find an example in my library of
published music where an engraver has taken this same decision. I
prefer the forked stem solution - see the attached picture. I would be
interested in others' opinions on this, and advice as to any possible
workarounds.

Unfortunately, there isn't any support for forked stems in LilyPond
at the moment, but the feature has been requested a number of times
over the years.

2. Forcing the display of all accidentals with ! demonstrates a
collision bug - perhaps forced accidentals are bypassing the accidental
collision code?

If you try
<fis' fes'>4
you will realize that it doesn't have anything to do with forced
accidentals per se. Rather, it seems like a bug that you don't
get a natural if you do
<fis f>

3. These points are both related to a feature request for a new
accidental style which is common in quite a lot of contemporary music.
That is, accidentals, including naturals, before _every_ note,
excepting immediate repetitions.

See the section on Automatic Accidentals. You probably want something
close to
#(set-accidental-style 'forget)
however, the tricky aspect is the "except immediate repetitions"
which isn't supported as far as I know.

  /Mats