Re: Notehead collisions, accidentals

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Notehead collisions, accidentals
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:27:59 +0000

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:34:32 +0100 Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Quoting Mark Knoop <address@hidden>:
> > 1. There seems to have been a decision made at some point to merge
> > note heads in some cases (see collision-head-chords.ly in the
> > regression tests and the second chord in the example code below). I
> > personally find this ugly and cannot find an example in my library
> > of published music where an engraver has taken this same decision. I
> > prefer the forked stem solution - see the attached picture. I would
> > be interested in others' opinions on this, and advice as to any
> > possible workarounds.
>
> Unfortunately, there isn't any support for forked stems in LilyPond
> at the moment, but the feature has been requested a number of times
> over the years.

Is there any indication as to the priority this feature has in the
minds of developers? i.e. Is it something that might appear within a
year, or not for at least five years?

> > 2. Forcing the display of all accidentals with ! demonstrates a
> > collision bug - perhaps forced accidentals are bypassing the
> > accidental collision code?
>
> If you try
> <fis' fes'>4
> you will realize that it doesn't have anything to do with forced
> accidentals per se. Rather, it seems like a bug that you don't
> get a natural if you do
> <fis f>

There does not appear to be an issue in the bug list - should I report
this?

> > 3. These points are both related to a feature request for a new
> > accidental style which is common in quite a lot of contemporary
> > music. That is, accidentals, including naturals, before _every_
> > note, excepting immediate repetitions.
>
> See the section on Automatic Accidentals. You probably want something
> close to
> #(set-accidental-style 'forget)
> however, the tricky aspect is the "except immediate repetitions"
> which isn't supported as far as I know.

Yes, #(set-accidental-style 'forget) is the closest option, but that
does not print _any_ natural signs. At the moment my best option is to
just use ! everywhere.

Regards,

Mark

--