Re: [fr: barres de notes dans un triolet] Rhythmic slashes, are just too

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: [fr: barres de notes dans un triolet] Rhythmic slashes, are just too address@hidden hard to do
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:29:14 -0800 (PST)

Paul Scott-3 wrote:

> Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:
>> Currently entering rhythmic slashes are a pain in the butt and have
>> numerous
>> kludge solutions.  For example, if you simply change the noteheads to
>> slash
>> and set the notes to middle-line "b" the visual result and spacing is
>> perfect.  However the day you need to transpose, the slashes are all over
>> the place, and it wreaks havoc with midi.  Also using the stencil
>> override
>> kludge produces ugly slashes and the slashes cease to spread themselves
>> out
>> properly like quarter notes or whatever time-wise within the measure (too
>> fat and they collide the bar).
>>
>> Since a rhythmic slash is nothing more than a rest than looks like an
>> unstemmed note with a slash notehead.  LP should have a dedicated
>> primitave
>> (context independant) command to produce a rhythmic slash of a certain
>> duration on any staff (just like a note) without having to write a new
>> context or switch to drum mode, etc, or all the various other
>> work-arounds
>> and kludges that have been proposed here.  Can something like the
>> following
>> be added easily:
>>
>> { rs4 rs rs rs }
>>
>> To produce rhythmic slashes instead of rests that will space out properly
>> time-wise.  And look exactly like middle line (treble clef) "b" notes
>> that
>> have the notehed overidden to slash and the stem (optionally) hidden?
>> Also
>> producing no midi sound or transpose problems.
>>
>> Sorry for the rant, but I think this needs to be a "primitave" capability
>> syntax-wise just like entering a rest or note.  Rhythmic slashes are
>> heavily
>> used in jazz/pop arrangements instead of percent measure rests used in
>> classical, and to date entering them into lp is a heartach.
>>
> I don't remember the outcome of the last time we had this discussion.
>
> I agree that a primitive is needed!  A single letter would be great!
> Would you like to share the sponsorship if it's not too much?  If it's
> more than we want to share maybe some others would like to join us.
>
> Paul Scott

Paul,

I would hope/think that it would not cost much...  Maybe just a cloning of
the code that currently does rests, except with a different notehead and
optional stems (so that durations other than quarter notes can be produced)
as a slash with no stem is generally accepted to mean quarter note, but
sometimes you want to depict a specific rhythm on a part staff thats not a
drummer.  Maybe a price will be proposed by a developer.

Rick