\n in strings causes errors

From: Michael David Crawford
Subject: \n in strings causes errors
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:03:21 -0800

Hi,

I'm using Lilypond 2.11.18-1 on Mac OS X Intel 10.4.8.

If I have the following:

\header {
        copyright = "A\nB"
}

I get the following error message, even though the Lilypond doc says strings may include newlines as \n:

programming error: FT_Get_Glyph_Name () error: invalid argument
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Glyph has no name, but font supports glyph naming.
Skipping glyph U+1000000A, file /Applications/Lilypond/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf//CenturySchL-Roma.otf
continuing, cross fingers

Newline is a non-printable character, so I guess the font left out its name.

What I'm really trying to do is have a multiline, single-spaced copyright message, so I can spell out the Creative Commons license as it's recommended to be printed:

        copyright = \markup { \teeny \center-align
                {  "Copyright © 1994 Michael David Crawford"
"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 License."
        "To view a copy of this license, visit"
        "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/";
        "or send a letter to"
"Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA." } }

\center-align double-spaces the lines of text, so the above takes up a lot of space. I haven't found a way yet to single-space it.

Thanks for your help,

Michael David Crawford
address@hidden
http://www.geometricvisions.com/