Fw: extra-offset instead of X/Y offset? (was Lowering a mark)

From: Vivian Barty-Taylor
Subject: Fw: extra-offset instead of X/Y offset? (was Lowering a mark)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:26:29 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Mats and others,

I would suggest putting a note on the backend pages of the Program Reference. It seemed such a logical thing to just do \once \override DynamicText #'padding = #4 that I didn't even check if that was possible. (I then remembered that the last time I had tried this and it hadn't worked I had just used #'extra-offset.) Then I noticed it hadn't worked  and started trying to work out why. When I looked at:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/DynamicText#DynamicText

I noticed there wasn't a padding property listed (which seemed odd). After a search on the lilypond-user archives I found that the padding is controlled by the DynamicLineSpanner for DynamicText, Hairpin and DynamicTextSpanner objects.

I would suggest putting a link on the DynamicText page to the DynamicLineSpanner page
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/DynamicLineSpanner#DynamicLineSpanner

with a note to say that padding for DynamicText objects is controlled by the padding of the DynamicLineSpanner.

On a seperate point, could you (or someone else) explain to me what the DynamicTextSpanner is? I've never used it, and can't find how to create one (unless this is the text option for Hairpins as documented.)

Cheers,
Vivian.