Any possibility to define a new accidental-style ?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Any possibility to define a new accidental-style ?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 01:08:18 +0100

[Was: An extra accidental-style might be needed]

Greetings,

A few days ago, I tried to send a question on this list about the way
accidentals are often written in recent scores :

--the first accidental in a bar is printed (like in 'default style)
--if a note with an accidental is immediately repeated in the same bar
(same pitch, same octave), the accidental is not printed (like
in 'default style)
--if the same note occurs later in the bar, the accidental is printed
again (like in 'forget style)
--if the same note gets natural, even at a different octave, a natural
sign is printed (like in 'modern style)
--sometimes, cautionnary naturals signs can even be printed in the
immediately following bar, without parentheses or whatever (which can
be obtained in Lily by setting the "laziness" property) --just in case
the musician would forget there isn't any accidental anymore...

Of course, there's no obligation here for anyone to answer (or even to
care about) my question; that said, I thought maybe I'd better post it
once again, just in case...

(and also because I need it, of course -at least, I need to know if I
have to start taking back all my files and add exclamation marks
everywhere...)

Maybe I could (with a little help) write this function by myself
(though I don't really how to do it right now). But I also wanted to
know if anyone had ever seen such a notation practice before (I know
at least a dozen composers who use it, but maybe it's only in
France...), and if it would be worth considering adding it to the
standard LilyPond distribution, as a new accidental-style -- and if
this should happen, I would be pleased to sponsorize it myself of
course.

Now, if this definitely a silly idea, I hope this time someone will at
least take a few seconds to tell me it is :-)

Regards,
Valentin