Re: NoteNames, how do I change language and spacing

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: NoteNames, how do I change language and spacing
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:17:39 +0100

Mats Bengtsson schrieb:

> Kevin Dalley wrote:
>> I'm using NoteNames for some demos.  There are 2 items I want to
>> change.
>>
>> 1.  I'm including english.ly, but "as" is output as "ais".  Is it
>> possible to change the language?
>>

> Unfortunately, it seems that the language is hard-coded in the current
> implementation. That shouldn't be hard to change though.

More precisely, in the file lily/pitch.cc, there is a comment in lines
161-162 reading

   /* FIXME
      Merge with *pitch->text* funcs in chord-name.scm  */

Directly following this you will find the definition of alterations for
note names. If you change it to

char const *accname[] = {"ff", "tqf", "f", "qf", "",
                         "qs", "s", "tqs", "x"};

you will get the desired behaviour. Note, however, that this requires
downloading the source code and compiling it afterwards. Depending on
your experience with programming, this can be a very involved process,
as is stated in the warning on

   http://lilypond.org/web/devel/#warning

But if you really need this behaviour, it is certainly an option.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make lilypond take the language which
is used to type note names into account by default. Maybe this will be
implemented by someone soon (might even be me if I find the time). BTW,
has this already been reported as a bug (or limitation, at least)?

Cheers,
Max