Re: Tricks and overrides for vocal music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Tricks and overrides for vocal music
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:22:37 -0800

Arvid Grøtting wrote:
That's fine, but if I want to do that with each setting, I also need
to write a small example around it.  Between a day job, a 13 months
old son, a wife, a choir and scores of scores to typeset, I don't
really have the time.  So if someone wants this in the form of small
snippets, please go ahead and write the small snippets :-)

You could try making a single example with everything in it. Or, as you suggest, somebody else could get involved.

The same more or less applies here.  I can transform what I wrote into
a section, but it won't have many pretty pictures in it...

A section without pretty pictures is better than no section at all. Although I kind-of agree with your suggestion that this is more of a LSR or template thing than a manual thing...

What I *can* do is write a section (for chapter 7.3) and include either

- a template with these settings put in, or

I think a template would be just as good -- actually, possibly even better. Also...

- a full, working example (say, a two-page male choir piece by Grieg)

... it's easier to make a template. Just take an existing piece and remove all the notes and lyrics! :)

I think that's probably a good idea, although it may be more relevant
for either the LSR or (gasp!) the mailing list...

If you use the mailist, then the 50 people (or 100, or whatever the number is) who read this mailist see it. Virtually nobody searches the mailist, so anybody who subscribes to the mailist later (or is merely a casual lilypond user who isn't subscribed to -user) isn't going to see it.

My rule of thumb is that info on the mailist is lost; all useful info should be in the documentation (where "docs" include both the manual and LSR).

Cheers,
- Graham