Re: Need Help Posting to LSR

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Need Help Posting to LSR
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:26:08 +1100

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 10:41:21PM -0800, Graham Percival wrote:
> Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> >There is one problem --- the explanatory note is extremely large, and
> >dwarfs the picture of the snippet itself. There also seems to be a
> >problem with the line wrapping.
>
> I can't see any problem with wrapping... what do you see?

I see all the text in one big block, with no paragraph breaks or line
endings. The page source doesn't have any html tags in the text, so
this is probably to be expected. The server didn't like the HTML I
gave it, though (it keeps complaining about unclosed tags).

> >However, it might be better to put the
> >explanation in a comment in the lily code, and a note to that effect
> >in the explanation. This way the explanation will stay with the
> >snippet, and will be a little easier to read.
>
> To clarify this, you're talking about the technical stuff later on,
> right?  The initial text about chants is beautiful and should definitely
> remain in the description.

Yes.

> I have some other issues with the "using the template" section:
>
> 1.  Don't stick stuff inside the LilyPond app.  You can use directories
> inside your \include, as in
> \include "~/lilyincludes/my-init.ly"
>
> 2.  I'm not certain that the info about lilypond-book is appropriate
> here.  The anglican template is quite usable on its own, and your
> texinfo tweaks (headers) are quite usable on _their_ own.  Maybe the
> lilypond-book stuff (with the headers and footers) could go in a
> separate snippet?   (I'm not really certain about this; LSR is optimized
> for pure lilypond snippets, but it would be nice to have _somewhere_ to
> stick neat tricks like this)

On similar lines, I'd like to see a 'Template Repository' where
templates that are too unwieldy for the official docs. For example, a
template for 20 part Brass Band marches, orchestral symphonies and the
like. lilyond-book snippets might fit quite naturally in this sort of
repository.

Of course, when I say 'I'd like to see' I don't mean 'I'd like to set
up and maintain' :-)

> The lilypond template itself looks awesome, though.  Thanks!

Yes, I forgot to add...!

> Cheers,
> - Graham

Cameron Horsburgh