Re: [Mildly OT] Italicized letters in a series

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [Mildly OT] Italicized letters in a series
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:43:57 -0500

Hi, Trevor:

If you have text such as "Certain letters -- f, g, t, etc. -- exhibit
characteristic extenders ...", it seems right to italicize the letters.
Do you then also italicize the intervening commas,
or leave the commas in an upright face?

5.3.2 in Robert Bringhurst's amazing "The Elements of Typographic Style" says: Use upright (i.e., "roman") rather than sloped parentheses, square brackets and braces, even if the context is italic.

I couldn't find anything specific to punctuation, but looking at his text tends to confirm my intutition:

5.3.2 (addendum by KM):
If the context is italic, use italic punctuation (except as given by 5.3.2). For setting off italic elements within a roman context, use upright (i.e., "roman") punctuation, and kern accordingly.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.