Re: \score vs. \new Score with \midi

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \score vs. \new Score with \midi
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:05:37 +0100

As you have noticed, they are not equivalent from a syntactical point of view.
From different email discussions, I have got the impression that the main
hackers had some ideas on how to revise the syntax related to \book and \score
blocks, but I don't know if there are any concrete plans.

Actually, you write
\score{
 \new Score{
 \midi{...}
}
if you really need to explicitly specify the Score context (I don't see why that
would be needed, though).

  /Mats

Vivian Barty-Taylor wrote:
I'm using 2.10.19 for Mac OSX

I've just had an irritating couple of hours trying to find out why a \midi block was causing an error message and stopping the file from processing. It turns out that if you use \new Score instead of \score then the file fails. These two commands should theoretically be identical.
Why does this happen, and could it be changed?

Compare:

%%%% BEGIN CODE (FAILS)

\new Score {

c1

\midi { }
}

%%%%% BEGIN CODE (WORKS)

\score {

c1

\midi { }

Vivian.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/championships/games/*http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk/>. Plus: play games and win prizes.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology