MIDI Recorder For OS X?

From: Michael David Crawford
Subject: MIDI Recorder For OS X?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 23:26:52 -0800

Is there a simple MIDI recorder available that works on Mac OS X?

I compose for the keyboard by improvising. What I'd like is to just play, and have all my playing captured so I don't have to try to remember it.

Then I could use midi2ly to convert it to Lilypond format.

The fanciest thing I'd need it to do would be to allow me to clip out sections and save them to a different file.

I searched quite a bit the other day and couldn't find anything.

Apple's GarageBand can record from a MIDI source, but I couldn't find a way to export to a MIDI-format file. It only seems to be able to save in its own propietary format, or to audio files.

Thanks for your help!

Michael David Crawford
address@hidden
http://www.geometricvisions.com/music/ <- Creative Commons Music