Re: response character

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: Re: response character
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:20:23 -0500

On Mar 13, 2007, at 9:12 PM, Maximilian Albert wrote:

The response lyrics are supposed to begin with a special text symbol
that is a capital 'R' that has a slash through it.  Does anyone
know of a lilypond or LaTeX symbol that does this?

I've looked for such a thing in the past without success.

The symbol is contained (apparently) in the Apple Symbol font, and is
identified by the following:

Unicode: 211F
UTF8: E2 84 9F

--------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

(all of which is probably of little help- sorry!)

Well, at least it helped me to get it working. ;)

If you use an editor that is unicode-aware you can simply insert the
corresponding symbol wherever it is needed and rely on lilypond to do
the rest. Of course, the precise process depends on the editor. In my
quick test I used emacs where you can enter any symbol using its hex
unicode value. Because of some weird setting that had messed up my meta
key I had to include the line

   (define-key global-map [?\C-c ?u] #'ucs-insert)

in my .emacs file. Then typing CTRL-C, U, 211F resulted in the symbol
being inserted. (Only a white box was shown in emacs itself but
compiling with lilypond and viewing the pdf file worked just fine).

If you use another editor and cannot figure it out yourself, maybe other
users know how to do it.

Hope this helps,
Max

Apple users (OSX) using a text editor with UTF-8 text encoding (I like Smultron, and JEdit with Lilypond tool works also) can use the Character Palette.

It is accessed by going to System Preferences==>International.

Click on the "Input Menu" button; check the box for Character Palette in the window under the buttons. Also check the box "Show input menu in menu bar".

The Response symbol can be found in the Character Palette by selecting Symbols==>Letterlike Symbols. If you double-click on the symbol, it will appear in the active document at the cursor. For example, here < ℟ >. (There is a response symbol in the <>.)

This works for any viewable character.

Stan