Re: What is a system?

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: What is a system?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:05:10 +0000

Arjan Bos wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> For a few years now I've been working around this issue, but it finally
> caught on to me. It might be my lack of understanding of musical
> english, but:
> What is a System in for example between-system-padding?
>
> Is it one line of music? Is it one score? is it a set of bars? Is it
> everything that fits on one page?
> Could someone please point me to the right part of the documentation
> where system is defined in clear english?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Arjan

You almost had your answer with "one line of music."  In the case of a
single staff instrument it is one line of music.  For something like
piano music it is one line of the grand staff.  Likewise, for a
conductor's score it is one line for everything in the score, often a
single system per page.

Hoping that clears it up for you,

-David