Re: LILYPOND_DATADIR in 2.10

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: LILYPOND_DATADIR in 2.10
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:38:51 +0100

On 14 mrt 2007, at 21:38, Graham Percival wrote:

Arjan Bos wrote:
On 28 feb 2007, at 4:19, Graham Percival wrote:
Dan Eble wrote:
The NEWS for 2.11 says that "The environment variable LILYPONDPREFIX has been renamed to LILYPOND_DATADIR." If that is new for 2.11, why are versions of 2.10
complaining about it?  This is on Mac OS X 10.3 (PowerPC).

Thanks for the report.  This appears to be fixed in 2.10.20.
Hi,
I just downloaded 2.10.20-1 for MacOS X and I had to replace the following line in lilycall.py to fix the problem:
#     env['LILYPONDPREFIX'] = prefix + '/share/lilypond/current'
    env['LILYPOND_DATADIR'] = prefix + '/share/lilypond/current'

Sorry, remind me how to trigger this -- I don't get any error messages when compiling a simple ly file with 2.10.20-1 on OSX Intel.

I'm using  the PowerPC 10.4 variety.
In my path, I have ~\bin.
In there I have a command called lilypond that calls
# run the program

python "$INSTALLDIR/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lilycall.py" \
  "$INSTALLDIR/LilyPond.app/" $*

where $INSTALLDIR is /Applications

The lilycall.py in my version of 2.10.20-1 sets the environment value LILYPONDPREFIX and that triggers the error message.

So when I just invoke lilypond from the command-line, it will invoke lilycall.py and it will issue the error message. It does this even without input:

zaafMac:~ arjanbos$ lilypond
GNU LilyPond 2.10.20
error: LILYPONDPREFIX is obsolete, use LILYPOND_DATADIR

Making the change as suggested above yields:
zaafMac:~ arjanbos$ lilypond
GNU LilyPond 2.10.20
Usage: lilypond [OPTION]... FILE...

(etc.)

Perhaps my way of working under Mac OS X 10.4 is outdated. (... browsing through the docs ...) Ah, Indeed it appears that I have an outdated version of the lilypond script in my ~/bin. Does this mean that lilycall.py is obsolete? If so, then please remove it, or replace it with a message that says to update the ~/bin run scripts.

By the way,

Did you know that instead of editing your .profile to set environment variables for that specific bash session, you can set them globally for every program by creating a environment.plist in ~/.MacOSX with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http:// www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>PATH</key>
<string>/Users/arjanbos/bin:/sw/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/ usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin</string>
</dict>
</plist>

To add more environment variables, add the <key> and the <string>.
Read <http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Command_Line_v10.4.pdf> for more info, and search for environment.plist.

HTH,
Arjan

---
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind

-- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)