Why -dshow-available-fonts doesn't list "Times Italic"

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Why -dshow-available-fonts doesn't list "Times Italic"
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:56:26 -0500

Hi,

When I do ...

 -dshow-available-fonts

... a lot of stuff comes back. But very, very few of the fonts listed
have a style of Italic, even when I know for a fact that the Italic
face is intalled on my machine.

(If I go into InDesign it's clear that "Times" and "Times Italic" are
both available, for example.)

So what's going on? Does Pango only install style=Regular of most
fonts by default? How can I get either Pango or Lily to acknowledge
Times Italic and make the font available?

--
Trevor Bača