Re: Where the dot belongs to...

From: Michael Lauer
Subject: Re: Where the dot belongs to...
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:48:12 +0000 (UTC)

José Luis Cruz <joseluisjazz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Well, although in this case it's pretty clear that the dot belongs to
> the F (can't be any other way), it's true that the disposition is
> somehow odd. I entered the same sequence of music in sibelius to see
> how that software dealed with that problem. I like it better its
> solution than lilypond's one. I provide both pngs.
>
> I added ragged-right prior to compile it (in 2.11.20). And I noticed
> also that the sharp in A sharp (third measure) is too much separated
> from the notehead.
>
> Maybe the experts in music engraving are able to tell us more.

I don't know what it should look like, but the Sibelius version--with the f
shifted to the right of the e--makes sense to me.  You can get LilyPond to do
that too; see section 6.3.5 of the manual:

\version "2.10.20"

\include "deutsch.ly"

forceShift = \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1.7

\score {
        \relative c' {
                << { \forceShift f2. } \\ {<a, e'>8} >>
        }