Re: Markup for cadenza rest

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: Re: Markup for cadenza rest
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:53:44 -0400

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

I am typesetting a horn part from a piano concerto, and I'm having difficulty with the "Cadenza" rests in the piece. What I would like is a rest in the staff—it can be a 4-beat rest, like r1, a full- measure rest, like R1, or a long multi-measure rest, with the horizontal bar; I don't really care which kind. Above that, center- aligned, should be a fermata, and aligned above that, the word "Cadenza".

You should definitely use R1^\markup{...}
One method to get the horizontal size the way you want it
is to manually specify the width, such as
\override MultiMeasureRest  #'minimum-length = #10

I couldn't find any method to let LilyPond figure out the width
automatically.

Thanks a lot, Mats!  This worked great for me:

cadenzaTwoBeats = {
    \once \override MultiMeasureRest #'minimum-length = #9
R2^\markup{ \override #'(baseline-skip . 2) \center-align { \italic Cadenza \musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata" } }
}
cadenzaFourBeats = {
    \once \override MultiMeasureRest #'minimum-length = #9
R1^\markup{ \override #'(baseline-skip . 2) \center-align { \italic Cadenza \musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata" } }

Benjamin D. Esham
address@hidden  |  AIM: bdesham128  |  Jabber: same as e-mail
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the
illusion of knowledge.”                        — Stephen Hawking