Re: Timpani_tuning

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Timpani_tuning
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:17:02 +0200

Quoting David Bobroff <address@hidden>:

Mats,

Sweeeeet!  That's beautiful, thanks!

I was trying something similar to that, but one thing I was not doing
was defining a 'tuning' block.  I've found from time to time, that this
seems to make a difference.  Something that will work when pre-defined,
as you did here, will not work if used directly.  At least this has
happened to me.  Or am I mistaken?

At least in this specific case, it shouldn't matter, but we had a
related question the other day on how to assign a markup to a lyrics stanza number, where you need to play some such tricks.

  /Mats

-David

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
You mean something like:

\version "2.10.0"
tuning = \markup{\score{
{
 \clef bass
 c2*1/2 es a,
}
\layout{
 ragged-right=##t
 \context{
   \Staff
   fontSize = #-3
   \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
   firstClef = ##f
   \remove Time_signature_engraver
}}

\score{
\new Staff{
 \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup{\tuning}
 R1*2

   /Mats

David Bobroff wrote:
I want to do something like this:

http://notendur.centrum.is/~bobroff/image.png

In descriptive terms, I want to indicate the tuning of timpani with a
short bit of smaller staff in the "instrument name" position.

-David