Re: modern, simple chord charts desired

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: modern, simple chord charts desired
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:57:30 +0200

Adam Monsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it possible to create modern, simple chord charts with LilyPond?
> I'm thinking of the kind that are commonly used for sing-alongs that
> have simply lyrics and chord names above the words. Something like
> this:
>
>   D            G                D               A7
>   When I was a little bitty boy just up off the floor
>
>      D                  G               A7                 D
>   We used to go down to grandma's house every month end or so

Of course. But there are several other software packages that may
be more specialized for a simple purpose like this.

Personnaly, I often use the (very old) chords program that generates
PostScript directly from simple input:

  {t:As Tears Go By}
  {st:Jagger, Richards & Oldham}

  [D]It is the [E7]evening of the [G]day... [A7]
  [D]I sit and [E7]watch the children [G]play... [A7]

It supports font settings, choruses, verses and arbitrary comments.

Having said that, I definitely going to try Mats' sugestion on how to
do it with Lilypond...

-- Johan