Re: Intermittent Lyrics in Choral Piece

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Intermittent Lyrics in Choral Piece
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:45:07 +0200

A context "dies" as soon as it is discontinued. In this example, you try to
"revive" the context again later, but apparently the \lyricsto feature isn't
able to realize that the second incarnation is a continuation of the first one.

One possible workaround is to keep the extra "bassWords" context alive
during the full piece, by inserting spacer notes:

\score{
<<
\new Staff <<
\new Voice = bassWords {s1*3} % Keep the voice alive!
\new Voice = "bass" \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \context Voice = "bassWords" { c4 c c c }
  c c c c
  \context Voice = "bassWords" {c d e f}
}

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "bassWords" \lyricmode {
Dm dm dm dm

Dm ba Dm ba

In a real world example, you have to replace the "3" in "s1*3" with the
number of measures in the full piece (or at least until the start of the
last bassWords lyrics).

  /Mats

Jason Merrill wrote:
I'm looking for a good way to write intermittent lyrics for a choral
part.  I'm working on a piece with a repetitive bass figure, so after
the first repetition, there is no need to keep writing out the words.
However, I'd like to write more words at the beginning of the next
section.

An obvious way to do this is to use the \skip command in the lyrics,
but I'm not sure this is the best way.  If I could leave a "hook" in
the notated music, it would save me some counting.  Following the
example of divisi lyrics:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Divisi-lyrics#Divisi-lyrics

I can define a new named voice for the parts that should have words,
then associate the words with that voice using \lyricsto .  This seems
like a good solution, but I'm not sure how to use it more than once
for a single part.  I want to do something like this:

\version "2.10.20"

<<
\new Voice = "bass" {
 \clef bass
 \relative c {
   \new Voice = "bassWords" { c4 c c c }
   c c c c
   \context Voice = "bassWords" {c d e f}

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "bassWords" \lyricmode {
 Dm dm dm dm

 Dm ba Dm ba
}

Trouble is, the words don't show up in the second section.

Of course, for a trivial example like this, the \skip command seems to
make more sense, but in a longer and more complicated piece, I'm not
sure if it's the best solution.

I've read the sections of the manual I could find that apply to choral
music, but any pointers to any other resources that cover using
lilypond in a choral context would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Jason

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing