Re: Lyric Ties (desperate)

From: Aaron Dalton
Subject: Re: Lyric Ties (desperate)
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:16:36 -0600

José Luis Cruz wrote:
> Here is the page for downloading the fonts:
> http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download
>
> If you have windows, this is the direct linc to the ttf's on a zip:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dejavu/dejavu-ttf-2.16.zip?download
>

> I extracted the fonts to the c:\windows\fonts folder (where all the
> fonts are located), and lilypond were able to use them without
> touching anything. I don't know if it'll be as easy for you.

Thank you, Jose!  With this information and some Googling I've finally
resolved the issue.  For the record, here's what I had to do for the
FreeBSD package (and I assume it's similar for the other *nix's).

1) Install the x11-fonts/dejavu port.  This should install the fonts
somewhere like /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/dejavu.

2) Open the file LILYPONDBASE/usr/etc/fonts/local.conf and add the
following line just after the '<fontconfig>' line.  (Adjust as necessary
for your hierarchy.)
  <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

All your system fonts should now be accessible!  Do a 'lilypond
-dshow-available-fonts any' to be sure.  Below is the updated snippet
that now displays the lyric tie as it should:

\version "2.10.0"
\paper {
   #(set-default-paper-size "letter")
   #(define fonts (make-pango-font-tree "DejaVu Serif"
                                        "DejaVu Sans"
                                        "DejaVu Sans Mono"
                                       (/ 16 20)))
}

\relative c'{ \time 4/4 r4 f4 e d | c2 c | }
\addlyrics
{ Buon gior -- no~al mon -- do. }

--
Aaron Dalton       |   Super Duper Games
address@hidden   |   http://superdupergames.org