Re: Melisma error.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Melisma error.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:32:31 +0200

I hope you have noticed that the example you give below contains a syntax error so that LilyPond will not produce any output. The error message printed out by
LilyPond should be fairly clear about the problem.
Maybe the PDF file you looked at was left over from some earlier version of your
input file?

If I just add a space between "The" and "}", the example compiles without problem
and gives you an extender line until the end of the tied over e.

  /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Well, the line worked perfectly until I put Line 2 in. Now I am back where I was. There were a couple of instances of two spaces where there should have
been 1, but I corrected those.

I installed the latest version of Lilypond, but it made no difference.

I can't create a self-contained extract, but here is Mats' file and its
continuation:

 \version "2.10.0"
\relative c'{\time 3/4 a d, b' | a2 d,4 | e2. ~ | e |fis | fis2 fis4 |
gis!2 a4 | b2 d4 |}
 \addlyrics
 {Let it be --  gin with   me __ Let there be peace on earth, The}

When it prints out, the melisma is ignored, and there is a single underscore
after "me".

Doug.

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 10:59, address@hidden wrote:
> Thanks. That worked perfectly. I thought that I had the spacing right, but
>  must not have.
>
>  Using version 2.6.3 here as provided by Mandriva.
>
>  Doug.
>
>  On Monday 02 April 2007 23:16, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > What is the problem? It's much easier if you send a complete (but small)
>  > example
> > that can be ran directly through LilyPond. Also, please always tell what
>  > LilyPond
>  > version you are using. Based on your example, i made
>  > the following complete example which seems to work well:
>  > \version "2.10.0"
>  > \relative c'{\time 3/4 a   d, b' | a2   d,4 | e2. ~ | e |}
>  > \addlyrics
>  > {Let it be --  gin with   me __ }
>  >
> > Be careful about the syntax. If you want an extender line, use a double > > underline separated from the previous syllable by a space. Similarly, I
>  > recommend to use a -- to get a hyphen that's typeset centered between
>  > the syllables.
>  >
>  >    /Mats
>  >
>  > address@hidden wrote:
> > > Here is a typical example. This pattern occurs repeatedly throughout
>  > > this
>  > > song:
>  > >
>  > > a   d, b' | a2   d,4 | e2. ~ | e |
>  > > Let it be-  gin with   me______
>  > >
>  > > Doug.
>  > >
>  > > On Monday 02 April 2007 02:56, Dominic Neumann wrote:
>  > > > Please provide us an example code to play with it.
>  > > >
>  > > > Dominic
>  > > >
>  > > > > two measures.  The usual method of adding a double underscore
>  > > > > after
>  > >
>  > > the word
>  > >
>  > > > > one measure, perhaps the command doesn't apply here.  I tried
>  > > > > using
>  > >
>  > > \melisma
>  > >
>  > > > > and \melismaEnd, but got syntax errors.
>  > > > >
>  > > > >  What is the correct method, please?
>  > > > >
>  > > > >  Doug.
>  > > > >
>  > > > >
>  > > > > _______________________________________________
>  > > > > lilypond-user mailing list
>  > > > > address@hidden
>  > >

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.
   - Oscar Wilde

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems