Re: How to start Lilypond

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: How to start Lilypond
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:37:29 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Bonnie Rogers <address@hidden> writes
Francisco Vila wrote:
El lun, 19 de mar de 2007, a las 01:33:45 +0100, Francisco Vila dijo:
  Really you can simply open notepad and save the document as
whatever.ly and it will keep its given filename extension, so it
should work as a lilypond file.

Not true unless you have experience managing Notepad. When you save the Lilypond test file in Notepad, you must not only type the filename "test.ly" but also change the "Save as type" to "All Files". Otherwise the result will indeed be "test.ly.txt".

An alternative (I haven't tried it as far as I can remember) is to save the file as ' "test.ly" '. Apologies for my strange typing, but that means "include the double quotes as part of the file name in the "save" dialog box".

Apparently wrapping the name in double quotes overrides the automatic "add .txt extension" in notepad (or indeed, any other app eg .doc in Word).

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden