Re: Notes are going octaves down

From: Andrew Longland-Meech
Subject: Re: Notes are going octaves down
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:01:19 +0100

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 03:36 -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Hello all! This is my first post and I really can't understand what is
> it I am doing wrong. This file shows that I what to repeat a cord and a
> separate note in the same staff several times. However, the notes seem
> to be interpreted as relative in the sense that they are always going
> one octave lower each duration.
> Can you help me to fix it?... I haven't found a clear answer on the manual.
> Thanks
>
> THIS IS THE FILE
> \version "2.11.15"
> \include "espanol.ly"
> fragA = <<
>       {la,,}
>       >>

>      upper = \relative do''
>        {
>        \tempo 4=67
>        \clef treble
>      \key do \major
>      \time 4/4
>
>         r1  r1  r1  r1
>
>               }
>
>      lower = \relative do' {
>         \clef bass
>         \key do \major
>         \time 4/4
>       \fragA \fragB \fragA \fragB
>      }
>
>      \score {
>         \new PianoStaff <<
>            \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "Piano "
>            \new Staff = "upper" \upper
>            \new Staff = "lower" \lower
>         >>
>         \layout { }
>

> END OF FILE
>
> --
> Jess Guillermo Andrade (Att.)
> Litigation Attorney - Arbitrator
> Andrade & Moreno S.C. (https://amlegal.wordpress.com/)
Your problem is caused by a combination using relative and using
simultaneous music in the fragA definition. Joe's solution won't work
(sorry Joe!) because the note following a chord is relative to the first
note of the chord not the last, so will result in each chord going up an
octave!! However, the first note of the second voice in simultaneous
music is relative to the last note of the first voice. It took me ages
to understand this!

The easiest way to do what you want is to separate out the voices in the
definition of fragA as follows: (I've invented a fragB - not very
musical, I know -  since you didn't tell us what this is)

\version "2.11.15"
\include "espanol.ly"
fragAvoicetwo = {la s s s}
fragBvoicetwo = {sol s s s}

     upper = \relative do''
         {
         \tempo 4=67
         \clef treble
     \key do \major
     \time 4/4

        r1  r1  r1  r1

                }

     lower = {
        \clef bass
        \key do \major
        \time 4/4
        <<
          \relative do' { \fragAvoiceone \fragBvoiceone \fragAvoiceone
\fragBvoiceone } \\
          \relative do, { \fragAvoicetwo \fragBvoicetwo \fragAvoicetwo
\fragBvoicetwo }

     }

     \score {
        \new PianoStaff <<
           \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "Piano "
           \new Staff = "upper" \upper
           \new Staff = "lower" \lower

        \layout { }
    }

Relative mode is a bit tricky to understand, but once you get your head
round it, it makes perfect sense.