Re: producing "archival" scores

From: Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: producing "archival" scores
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 23:42:21 -0700

On 4/5/07, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello everybody, hello Jason,

I would like to add my 2 cents here: though LilyPond syntax evolves
indeed very quickly, you'll always be able to find the version of
LilyPond which was in use when you first typed your score, on
http://lilypond.org/web/install/older-versions or
http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/sources/

This is why open-Source gives some "guarantees" (well, relatively at
least) you won't be able to find with any other proprietary software:

Just to clarify one small thing: I think that it would be nearly
impossible -- or at least extraordinarily difficult -- to compile on a
modern distribution of Linux a sufficiently old version of Lilypond so
that ancient .ly files can be used directly. The nice thing about the
old ly files is that the syntax is usually similar enough that if
convert-ly doesn't work, most of the note-entry should be
straightforward to reuse, leaving organization and tweaking to be done
(for me, that usually takes about half of the time of preparing a
score, so that's not so bad).

--Josiah