Re: midi2ly: makeshift patch

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: midi2ly: makeshift patch
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:49:49 -0700

Alexander Hanysz wrote:
Below is a patch for what on my system is the file /usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/midi2ly (I'm using version 2.10.20).

Fixed (?): the --key command line argument is recognised; key signatures and time signatures now appear correctly; rests are visible.

Do you have a test file for this? If I can easily verify that this works, I'll commit these changes.

Not tested: changes of key or time within a piece.

To do: correct notation for syncopated notes and for rests that span more than one bar; the --output argument doesn't seem to work.

Unfortunately I won't have time to continue working on this. (I'm up against a deadline, so I have to go back to using Finale to finish my arrangement :-( ) But someone who actually knows what they're doing shouldn't find it too hard to fix this up.

Unfortunately the main developers are very busy at the moment; we don't have time to fix up patches. If any users here know python and are interested in helping, we welcome any assistance; otherwise this work will go to waste.

Speaking from experience, python is an easy language to learn. If any users here are interested in helping out but don't know any programming languages, python (and midi2ly) would be a great place to start.

Cheers,
- Graham